Friday, March 13, 2009

Cleaning

I have been giving some thought lately to the very important issue of cleanliness. Well, it's actually not that important to me (bring on the germs people!), but it appears to be VERY important to the Swedes. When noted cross-culturalist Richard Lewis surveyed a bunch of Swedes for his book "When Cultures Collide" about their cultural values, "cleanliness" was up there with honesty, tolerance and equality. (I just noticed that Lewis didn't include any values in his section on the United States. Nice.)

Cleanliness seems to be particularly important to Swedish women over the age of about 40. Or rather, the act of cleaning seems to be important. Merel tells me she knows a number of Swedish women with high-paying jobs who spend their Sundays cleaning the house. We're talking cleaning, not straightening up for the week. How many female directors in the U.S. or Britain do you think there are who scrub their own kitchen floors? And Karin says women who do pay someone to clean their house would prefer than no one knew, especially not their mothers or grandmothers.

How to explain all this self-mopping? Well, it's got to be connected to what the Scandinavians call the Jante Law. The Jante Law (Jantelagen in Swedish anyway) is a phrase coined by Danish author Akzel Sandermose in 1933 to describe the egalitarian/restrictive pressures of small-town life in Scandinavia. Briefly, the tenants of the Jante Law are:
  • Don't think that you are special
  • Don't think you're better than anyone else
  • Don't think you're smarter than anyone else
  • Don't think you'll amount to anything
Chipper, right? Don't you read those and wish you could live in small-town Sweden in 1930? But my real point is that it's not a huge leap to read between the lines and see this other tenant:
  • Wash your floors yourself, missy
Frankly the Jante Law thing gives me the heeby-geebies, and not just because I really, really hate mopping. It's my rah-rah-individualist-American value poking up his head and going "No way Jose!!" Interesting, I didn't really even know he was there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate mopping too - must be an American trait :-)

Anonymous said...

We Americans can proudly lay claim to a lot of things. But I never realized that individualism and a dislike of mopping were unique to us. I suppose it must be like freedom and bravery. Only we Americans know what they are.

Anonymous said...

Joan Rivers summed up my philosophy nicely when she said, "I hate housework! You make the beds, you do the dishes--and six months later you have to start all over again.

-Claudia