- Dressing and undressing children in rain and/or snow gear
- Schlepping children through the rain to and from school, the grocery store and the library
- Procrastinating doing anything useful
- Trying to pretend the sun might come out
- Trying to not check email 100 times a day out of boredom
Swedes and other longer-term Scandinavian expats assure me that November is the worst month. Last year I must have still been riding the wave of expat adrenalin because it didn't seem so bad, but this year I feel like someone dropped a bag of bricks on my head and I can't squirm out from underneath. The result of this is a Mom with a less than sunny outlook on life (at least it's consistent with the weather), in which all things positive are now hideous and inconvenient:
Our great apartment? Horrible! If I have to haul 2 kids and 5 bags of groceries up this mini elevator one more time I'll die! The terrific public transportation? Heinous! What is wrong with these crazy people stepping on my children and not apologizing?! My favorite cafe near the kids' school? The tables always tip over and the chairs are broken! Etc.
So you see, I am doing a very poor job of dealing with November this year. Only 10 more days until Advent. Here's hoping the Christmas lights and glögg improve my mood (for the whole family's sake). Bah humbug.
4 comments:
Oh poor you, I so remember that feeling. Have to say the weather here is not much better.
Wait until the Christmas lights come out, that helps sometimes.
Kiss
I heard that the local news reported that we'd had a grand total of 3 hrs and 10 mins of sunshine in November so far. Time to bring out the Happy Light!!!
AD.
I agree with Ad - bring out the happy lamp! It's time. I bet Advent will help too.
Sorry to hear it! What about after-school playdates? That always helps me TONS. Today we had a morning playdate at a friend's house, then an afternoon one at our house--with the same friends! Bored house moms must deal. Also, I do the email thing, too. Check it at least 100 times a day. I think I need to banish it to the basement. Anyway, hang in there! You'll be back in garish, plastic, pratical, too-sunny California before you know it. Enjoy the charming teensy elevator while you can.
Post a Comment