Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Lorensbergs

Here's a picture of Trevor and I at the Lorensbergs end-of-year meeting and party in December. Trevor is from Birmingham and is the other English-only consultant at Lorensbergs (who happens to be engaged to one of the founders, Malin). Can you tell I just hate working with him? The man is hilarious in addition to being a great consultant and trainer. Oh, and he can drink about 10 beers and still be coherent. Very impressive.

I struck gold with Lorensbergs. The company is a great fit for me in terms of the kind of work they do (facilitation, communications training, and something called "employeeship") and personality. Trevor and I have spent many hours in the car together shuttling to Lund and back for training courses and we fill the hours quite nicely, thank you. While I'm not working as much as I'd like (now's your chance to send me prosperity vibes), the work I'm doing is interesting and fun. Plus, I'm learning a lot working with Trevor in the classroom and with Malin in terms of the sales process. I had a good meeting with a new client this morning that I think will turn into a nice chunk of work from now until June.

All this makes up for the hassle of setting up my own business in Sweden and wanting to pull my hair out trying to figure out what the tax office (Skatteverket) wants this week (you want a certificate from the IRS saying I've paid my taxes? Uh, sure, no problem, the IRS is all about certificates). Keep in mind the letters that keep popping through our mail slot from the Skatteverket are in Swedish tax lingo, so I understand about half. OK, a third. Probably not the best state to be in when dealing with your company finances.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hooray! I'm so glad it has worked out!!

Anonymous said...

Prosperity vibes are on their way. So glad to hear you're doing something great!

-Claudia

Sarah said...

You look great in this picture, by the way. I'm curious how the whole work thing is working out. Are you able to work from home with the kiddies? Or are they in preschool every day now? I really want to know more about the logistics about figuring all this out in a foreign country. I'm so impressed by you!

Nevada said...

Well the kids are in daycare/preschool M-F from about 9-3, but the schools are incredibly flexible, so on the days I have to travel for work they can stay until 5pm and Adrian picks them up. I think I'll do a post on the schools since I've gotten a couple questions about the logistics. XOXO